Software Deployment - Program Creation
As you are aware, SMS has a program creation utility built in with the capabilities of making working programs out of msi packages for software deployment.
One thing that is bad about this utility is that it does not take into account that some people make packages which have spaces in the names... bad bad bad
So... the command lines which SMS creates are flawed and will not execute at deployment time. Nor have I found where it creates a blatant error log...
With that being said:
Check your program command lines and tweak them as necessary. For example, an MSI named J2SE Version 150.msi would never execute under and SMS created program line as it would read something like:
msiexec /i J2SE Version 150.msi TRASNFORMS=[transform].mst /qb!
(I added my own switches and fun stuff for effect)
This command would error out at the first space after J2SE, indicating a bad parameter. I never saw a log on this and found it by running the command manually. Change these types of command lines in this fashion:
msiexec /i "J2SE Version 150.msi" TRANSFORMS-[transform].mst /qb!
You must encapsulate in quotations the filename which has spaces. (remember... this is a DOS command line)
One thing that is bad about this utility is that it does not take into account that some people make packages which have spaces in the names... bad bad bad
So... the command lines which SMS creates are flawed and will not execute at deployment time. Nor have I found where it creates a blatant error log...
With that being said:
Check your program command lines and tweak them as necessary. For example, an MSI named J2SE Version 150.msi would never execute under and SMS created program line as it would read something like:
msiexec /i J2SE Version 150.msi TRASNFORMS=[transform].mst /qb!
(I added my own switches and fun stuff for effect)
This command would error out at the first space after J2SE, indicating a bad parameter. I never saw a log on this and found it by running the command manually. Change these types of command lines in this fashion:
msiexec /i "J2SE Version 150.msi" TRANSFORMS-[transform].mst /qb!
You must encapsulate in quotations the filename which has spaces. (remember... this is a DOS command line)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home